User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Talkative Middle School Students

And finally, yesterday's 5 PM class. I came into class and Luby wanted to talk about the terrorism in the Russian school. Apparently they've talked about it a lot in her middle school classroom, because she knew about the Chechnyens and how that all fit together. I asked them if they knew about the Basques in Spain and France. At first I got blank looks but once I explained it they figured out what it was in Korean. Wow at the sophisticated thought they're capable of, and to be able to express it in English--triple wow! I don’t think they’re worried about a similar situation happening to them, because Korea doesn’t have any fringe groups who want independence.

Lily then said that Mona had suggested that she invite me to her home for Chuseok, but she still had to ask her mother. Oh, that's nice, (and it would be great to see the traditional ceremony and everything that they do), but I'm going to the USA (I hope!!!!) on Chuseok Day. "Oh??" Shocked looks from everyone. "You're going for a visit? You're coming back to Korea, right?" Uh . . . no, at least not right away. Maybe someday. Edward asked, tongue-in-cheek, if I'd been fired. No, you crazy boy! I've been here for more than 2 years and now it's time for me to go home. They asked me who would be their new teacher, and when I answered probably Tanya (unless Joelle does any more crazy rearranging of the schedule), Lily groaned. "Tanya is dirty!" Why is she dirty? "I was in her 8 o'clock class and she was picking her nose! Then there was a cockroach on the wall and she tried to catch it with her hand!! She always puts her feet in the chair! She's dirty!" Hmmm . . . Luby shook her head from side to side and said, "My image is broke." What do you mean by that, Luby? "I saw Tanya far away and thought she was good, but now my image is broke. She is dirty." Perhaps a little (by Korean standards), but she is nice!

The next way the conversation went was to what my house in the USA is like. They wanted to know how many rooms it had, and if it was big, and everything about the swimming pool. They kept saying, "You're rich!" and I kept replying, Many people in Florida have a swimming pool! We talked some about the differences in weather, and Luby sighed, "I wish I could see your house." You should come and visit me! "REALLY?" Yeah, sure--come and see what the USA is like, practice English . . . "I want to see your house for one year!" Now wait a minute!! A year?! NO! I knew I needed to make that part VERY clear. Why do you want to come for a year? “To see your house in summer and winter." Oh, summer is just like Korea--VERY hot and sticky. Winter is nicer. One week, two weeks--that's great. That would be fun. But one year? I would be calling your mother and begging for her to come and get you because all of your talking would drive me crazy! My parents would be okay with a short-term visitor (I think!) but a year is too long. The boys didn't seem interested--good--it would be awkward to have a middle school boy. The girls wrote down my email, and Lily said she would ask her mother. The chances of it actually happening--small--but it would be great for the kids if they could.

We finally got around to opening the book with I think 10 minutes left of class--oops! Next time we'll have to study, study, study. But our conversation was good for them--expressing their opinions about current events, learning about the USA, and thinking about the possibility of international travel. Luby asked for a picture of me before I leave. A picture of me with our class? "Any picture, teacher!" OK . . . a little strange, but I suppose that could be arranged.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home