User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Saturday, September 04, 2004

New Schedule

Mark is back in Kara's 2 PM class. He must have had the worst case of chickenpox ever—he has marks everywhere; I'm afraid they might scar rather badly.

At 3 PM the listening exercise was to listen and write down the person's name, nationality, and occupation. Before we started I had to explain what those two long words meant and give plenty of examples. Kelt started singing under his breath, "America, America, du du du…" over and over again. Hey! You watch that TV show?! "Yes, teacher! America's Funniest Home Videos!" He acted surprised that I had seen it, too. We discussed it for a few minutes, since a couple of the other students had seen it, too. Words like "dorky" and "lousy jokes" were impossible for them to understand, so I said I liked the videos but not the man on the show. Tomas had never seen it, so asked what channel it was on and when. The kids told him what channel, but didn't know when it was on.

The schedule will change slightly starting Monday. I have the same number of teaching hours but will be at school an additional hour each week. One of my 2 PM classes that was just getting to a decent level and has only 6 students was taken away and instead I got Tanya's really low level class of 11 students, only half of which can read at all. It's only for 3 weeks, no sweat.

I spent the whole 4 PM break writing up new attendance sheets for my 17 classes while the Korean teachers who had the hour off talked with each other, ate an early dinner, or otherwise goofed off.

At 6 PM after Zach used the wrong word, I reviewed the difference between "clock" and "watch"—A watch is on your wrist; a clock is on the wall. Mr. Smartypants then asked, "What's a clock on the floor? What's a clock in the toilet?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home