User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Monday, September 06, 2004

Typhoon Songda

A drizzly day due to another typhoon coming. The maps look like Typhoon Songda will go to the east of Korea, but may come close enough to cause some severe weather. Probably a few days of rain. Little wind to speak of so far, though.

The adults were SO annoying today!! A new adult will "observe" my class tomorrow. The mother told Joelle that she only knows her ABCs, yet Joelle suggested she observe my class of intermediate level students who know far more than just the alphabet! And "observing" a class and "participating in" a class are very different, anyway. She's going to feel completely out of place with the talkative women. Whatever.

I walked Tanya down to my doctor today--her eye was red and swollen and nasty looking. The doctor, of course, didn't really know what it was. He gave her the usual 4 or 5 pills and a couple of different kinds of eye drops. She thinks it might just be allergies. I may have to visit the doctor once more before I go home--my ear felt weird last night so I put some swimmer's ear type stuff in it. Then today it's sore to the touch. Outer ear infection? I'll wait another day or two. I wonder if the pharmacist would give me drops without actually visiting the doctor for a prescription.

The 2 PM class was better than I had expected. They could answer basic questions like what's your name, how old are you, your favorite color, etc., and could perform basic tasks like stand up, sit down, raise your hands, open or close your book, be quiet (at least they knew what it meant, following it is an entirely different thing!), etc. Pronunciation was, for the most part, good, and about half of them could easily read. About five 1st-graders, five 2nd-graders, and one 4th-grader (what were they thinking putting him in that class?). The rest of the day was pretty average.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home