User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Making a Difference

I am really going to miss my students!!!

I was filling up my water bottle when Kate and Maria waved at me from the computer room. (They're second graders in the class that Matt is now teaching.) Then Kate came out and gave me a huge hug and asked which class I was teaching now. I told her which class and as she continued to cling to me I asked if Matt was fun, and she broke away from me long enough to say, "No! He's scary!" as she made her body shake like she was scared. Then she wrapped her arms around me again and I asked what about Matt was scary--His beard? Is he really tall? "Yes, teacher!" She is really sweet and I'd much rather have their class than the beginner monsters that they gave me instead.

I didn't tell her that I'd be leaving Korea at the end of the month. I was having enough trouble not getting emotional about her missing me as her teacher; I didn't want the possibility of her crying. Two years here--I've made a difference. I can see it easily when a student can answer a difficult question or write a good story, but who knows what other ways I've taught them. I'm constantly encouraging the kids to pursue their dreams, especially the girls, as being a police officer or lawyer isn't exactly what most parents would encourage their daughters to be. I try to show them how big the world is and how while Americans might do some weird things like wear shoes in the house, we're basically the same as them. The kids never tire of rubbing the hair on my arms and proclaiming, "Your hair is white!" No it's not, it's blonde. And if you think I'm hairy, you should see my uncle!

I've strayed away from what I started to say, which was what I started out with: I will truly miss my students. I will wonder about what they're doing and how they're growing and I will worry about them surviving the stressful educational system. I know that I'll probably not hear from many/any of them because of their busy lives and the effort of writing in English, but I'll still wonder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home