User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Thursday, September 09, 2004

E.T. Pen's Death

Yesterday Beth (4th grade?) asked me, "Where is E.T. pen?" I explained that it had died, so she responded by crossing herself and pretending to pray. Oh come on! It is a little sad, though--I've been using that pen for quite a long time, but the ink is almost too light to see now and I don't think it can be refilled. The top doesn't fit properly anymore, either. The pen came to identify me and was yet another of the jokes that I shared with my students. They would point at E.T. on the pen, "Teacher! It's E.T.!" and I would hold it up to my face and respond, "No, it's me!" as I did E.T.'s 4-fingered wave and gave my best impression of his stupid grin. E.T.=English Teacher in my classroom! As some of the kids liked to point out, foreigner and alien mean the same thing, so it's pretty fitting that my pen have an alien on it, too.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Sean said…

    Cute story, it's always good to have something that makes you unique compared to the other teachers.

    Actually foreigner and alien are different in Korean. Foreigner is 외국인 and alien is 외게인 (my Korean spelling may be off). The first character 외 in both words has the chinese meaning of outside or seperate from. The third character 인 means person. The second character in Forgeigner 국 means country. So the aggregated meaning is person outside country. I'm not sure what the second character 게 in Alien means, it could be planet or earth but I really don't know. Hope that clears things up for you.

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah the correct spelling on Blinger's word is 외계인, and it's the 경계 "계" which means boundary or frontier. It's the same character as in 세계.

     
  • At 9:50 PM, Blogger Beth said…

    Most of the kids know the difference between alien and foreigner, but a few were insisting that their Korean teacher had said they were the same thing. In the sense that I'm both a foreigner and an alien while I'm in Korea, then yes, they're the same thing. My resident ID card identifies me as an alien, actually!

    I didn't know the Korean word for alien--it's interesting how the Chinese characters fit together.

    Now how about 문방구--I know it means stationery store, but the individual syllables don't seem to work together well. The students initially described it to me as door gas, but I told them that it didn't make sense in English. I then asked questions to get them to give me enough info to figure it out.

     
  • At 11:36 PM, Blogger Sean said…

    I think your students were trying to pull your leg on that one. 문 is door and 방구 sounds like 방귀 which means fart.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home