User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Teacher, you're strange!

Now that I've finished writing about the bad day today, I'll skip back to yesterday and the mostly good day. I had some caffeine before work, which led to me being a little hyper. I think I heard from every single class today something along the lines of, "You're crazy," or "Teacher, you're strange!" or "Are you OK?" or rolled eyes or laughter.

In one class we were doing a conversation exercise where they were to ask their partner, "What did you do yesterday?" and practice the past tense when answering. Vio responded to his younger partner's question with, "Shutthefuckfuckerfuck." Now I'm sure he didn't understand entirely what he was saying, but he had some idea what it meant. If adults want to use profanity, whatever, but I'd prefer them to not use it around me. But for the students--do their parents want them using that kind of language?! From my perspective, that kind of language does not belong in the classroom and a kid who says that in my classroom is being disrespectful. The kids also need to learn that while profanity seems to be everywhere in Korea, in English speaking countries it seems to be more situational. There are some times that you don't use profanity. So I responded very strongly to show him that what he said was not at all appropriate. I sent him outside for about 20 minutes, and then before letting him back in I told him how those words are very bad words in English and that he can't say them in my classroom. Maybe that means he'll try them out more outside of class, but as long as I don't hear them, fine.

Also in that class there was a rap chant and as I walked around the classroom making sure everyone was participating, I couldn't help but walk to the beat of the chant. Some of the kids noticed and thought the teacher's dance was the funniest thing in the world.

In the next class the middle school students had all kinds of excuses as to why they hadn't done their homework. First they were busy with their school vacation homework, and then they had started school again. They promised that they'd do it before the next class. Luby noticed my purple toenails and told me that purple is worn by crazy people or artists. I responded, "and.......what do you mean by that?" Luby didn't immediately understand, but Sally did. "She's saying you're crazy, teacher!"

In Miro's 7 PM class the last workbook page was writing a postcard to a friend or family member. Daniel wrote to his mother, "I'm in English class. The teacher is student hit. I'm sad." He made a special point of showing it to me. I acted shocked and before I knew it he had added, "The teacher is crazy." I pretended to punch him, and again his letter changed. This time it said, "The teacher is student kill." Oh? Does anyone have a knife? Anyone? I pretended to pull a knife out of my pocket to stab Blake with. Of course, a dramatic death from him. I doubt any of that would go over well in a Western school, but here it's no problem!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home