User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Spoonfeeding

I've figured out why I have so many problems in the 2 PM class. We were talking about jobs, and 3 of the kids want to be a "gag man" when they grow up (comedian). Fine and good, kids, but for now, tone down the crazy jokes and giggling in class!

Matt and Tanya didn't really understand how the listening test works, so I had to help them tweak their tests. Nothing huge, just the format of them so the kids are listening to everything--the questions and the possible answers.

Glen was moved UP from 1st Impact to High Impact because that's the only time he can come to our academy. He was already doing extremely poorly in the old class. I told Stephanie this, but she insisted that his grammar was good (yeah, right--his journals are atrocious --grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization--all horrible or missing) and his speaking ability is zero and his listening comprehension is in the below zero category. But I guess he fits in perfectly with that class--I have to spoonfeed them everything. I could probably go into class, sit down, and have a staring contest with them and they wouldn't say a single word during the entire 50 minute class. I am not exaggerating.

In the hall Tom and Sally/Steven were close to fighting--defensive poses, nasty tone of voices. I told them to stop and asked why they were arguing--no response. Later I asked Tom, and he explained that yesterday Steven (5th grade) pushed him (possibly intentionally) and Tom (6th grade) told him to not push. Steven replied with "profanity" (where did Tom learn that word?!) so Tom hit him or tried to hit him. Today Sally (7th grade and Steven's older sister) got involved and threatened Tom.

Cleo had a high opinion of today's vocab quiz--"It's a disgusting test." Zach had studied well, so said "Bravo!" as he handed his perfect paper to me. The idiom review game was lots of fun, although Cleo got his feelings hurt (not a surprise) and quit halfway through.

In the 7 PM class we did some exercises that the Korean teacher had skipped. Some writing that I guess she thought was too hard for them (I explained it easily enough to them, why couldn't she?) but also some drawing exercises. They were supposed to complete the pictures using the sentences. It was supposed to be a bus, and that's what they drew, but some of the boys made an alligator out of their bus--really cute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home