User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Friday, August 20, 2004

Kerry Opposes Troop Withdrawal

At work I read the following in the Korea Herald (there's no link because I didn't see it on their online site):

Kerry Opposes Troop Withdrawal from S. Korea
CINCINNATI, Ohio (AFP)

Democratic White House hopeful Senator John Kerry warned Wednesday that
President George W. Bush's plan to withdraw 70,000 troops from Europe and Asia
would hinder the war on terrorism and embolden North Korea.

"Nobody wants to bring troops home more than those of us who have fought in
foreign wars, but it needs to be done at the right time and in a sensible
way. This is not that time or that way," Kerry, a decorated Vietnam War
veteran, said in a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW).

I thought Kerry wanted the troops to come home? (I don't have anything in writing about that, but that's just what I remember.) The press likes to throw around that phrase "decorated Vietnam War veteran," huh? Is Kerry the only "decorated Vietnam War veteran" worth listening to?

"This hastily announced plan raises more doubts about our intentions and
our commitments than it provides real answers," Kerry told the organization,
which groups some 2.6 million members at about 9,000 posts worldwide.

What "hasty" plan? They've been talking about this for awhile now.

Kerry, a senator from the state of Massachusetts, argued that reducing U.S.
forces from South Korea would reduce Washington's leverage with Pyongyang in
talks to defuse the crisis over the Stalinist state's nuclear programs.

"Why are we unilaterally withdrawing 12,000 troops from the Korean
Peninsula at the very time we are negotiating with North Korea--a country that
really has nuclear weapons?

"North Korea has probably never been more dangerous than any time since the
end of the Korean War. This is clearly the wrong signal to send at the
wrong time," said Kerry.

Kerry is so clueless. Come on! 12,000 troops against the North's over a million is nothing. 12,000 troops against nuclear weapons is nothing. I know appearances can be a big thing, but the U.S. troops aren't disappearing, they're just moving around a bit and some are going to other countries. They're not backing down at all from the North; they're not underestimating the threat of the North.

Matt saw me at the copy machine copying the article and he stuck his nose in where it doesn't belong and we got in an argument about Kerry. Just because you hate Bush doesn't mean you should blindly defend the other guy!! I am not at all fond of Bush, but he's better than Kerry. Matt said it well as he bowed out of the argument--"Well you have a vote and I don't." EXACTLY! And stop criticizing a country that's not yours!!!!

2 Comments:

  • At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, I don't know...plenty of people who are not Korean criticize Korea.

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Beth said…

    Of course plenty of non-Koreans criticize Korea, including me at times. However, I usually don't do so TO Koreans. If I do it's usually inadvertently when I'm trying to understand something they do. This guy criticizes the USA or Americans nearly every day!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home