User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Water in the Hall

As I stepped out of my apartment this morning I stepped into a puddle of water about an inch deep. No, it wasn't my upstairs neighbor. At least I don't think so. When I got up this morning the water sound had stopped and my water pressure was down to practically nothing. Tonight it's a little better. The cause of the water was Typhoon Maegi (in Korean, 메기, or catfish). What an odd name for a storm! The windows in the hall are kept open and apparently enough rain blew in through them to create a puddle. The halls and stairs were completely wet.

I didn't know it was a typhoon until I got to work--they just don't do storm warnings in the same way here as at home! I just thought it was a really bad thunderstorm or something--it poured all night, with a raging wind. By the time I left for work, the rain had stopped and the wind was a little weaker, but still with 30-40 MPH gusts (my estimate based on the Beaufort Wind Scale). Large branches were definitely in motion and umbrellas used with difficulty (25-31 MPH); whole trees were in motion but it was only slightly inconvenient to walk against the wind (32-38 MPH). However, twigs were breaking from the trees, too (39-47 MPH).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home