User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Saturday, June 26, 2004

Censorship Is Not A New Thing Here

How many other sites are involved in this, and how long has the censorship been going on?? I did an internet search for "south korea censorship" and it pulled up a website from 1997 where they were banning Geocities for having illegal information on North Korea. Geocities sites are currently not loading. Is this a new ban, or have they been banned since '97? In 2002, gay and lesbian sites were blocked, along with an anti-military site. North Korean sites I suppose have always been blocked--I can partially understand that one, although there are so many ways to get information over the internet that blocking the North Korean sites wouldn't entirely keep the info out. I haven't researched all the stuff that went on in the 80's . . . yet. I may still do that, if only to see where they came from, and where they could be going if everyone does nothing.

Hey, I'm angry. One more letter--this time to Fox News.

I was watching the debate over the Iraq turnover on CNN tonight (the European viewpoint on things). I'm afraid that between the Iraq turnover, continued explosions and attacks in various countries, and the North Korean nuclear meeting finishing up, that the South Korean censorship will be pushed to the side and deemed unimportant. But really, this seemingly small issue could very easily snowball into much worse abuses of power and a total disregard for the Korean Constitution. We must continue to speak out until someone listens! It being a weekend, nothing may happen until Monday. Can I wait that long?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home