User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Friday, June 18, 2004

I Hate the World

I slept late this morning, then after some computer stuff and IM'ing with Mom and Dad, I got a late start walking. A bunch of kids, both elementary and middle school, were down by the lake writing and drawing, so I got a fair number of "Hello!"s. One of the kids was a little cute. He called out, "Hi, waegookin!" (foreign person) If I had been thinking more clearly I might have shouted back, "Hello, hangukin!" (Korean person) It annoys me that they wait until AFTER I've passed by, and only THEN do they say hello, so I have to turn around while walking to say hello back, while being careful not to trip and fall.

Even the teachers stared. Yes, I look like I just rolled out of bed, just chill and STOP STARING AT ME!!!! Especially the older men sitting around, they had no business looking at me, as if to imagine what was under my clothes. It's called a tank top, and those are called breasts, and yes they're bigger than most other breasts around here, but you don't have to look at them like that!!!! And last night on the bus--I'm growing to really, really, really hate drunk guys. I didn't realize the guy was drunk until after I sat down next to him and smelled the alcohol. He then spread his legs out wider, pressing again my leg. When I moved away from him and started to look his way he temporarily moved his legs back onto his half of the seat, but a few seconds later pressed against my leg again. I was about to move when he pushed the button to get off the bus, then he had the hardest time walking past me to the door. Believe me, I gave him PLENTY of room, and I was ready to make a huge scene if he tried anything.

The first two classes weren't so great. Mark threw a piece of paper out of the window in front of me, so I made him go downstairs and pick it up. Then I made him write, "I will not throw paper out of the window" thirty times. I mean, really! He would NEVER have done that with Kara in the room, why do so when I'm there?! Of course, it all comes down to the respect issue. Foreigners are made fun of and looked down on by everyone, so the kids inherit that from the media, their parents, their teachers, etc. The other boys in that class weren't listening at all, so I had them write, "This is not a playground. This is English class" ten times. I needed that ten minutes of quiet to keep from killing them. Then the next class Jessie was talking incessantly and Tomas was screaming, "TEACHER!" every time he wanted my attention. I was glad for the break time, hoping for time away from kids and all things Korean, but no. All of the computers in the teachers' room were busy, so I went into the kids' room. The one student in there studying WOULD happen to be one of mine, and a particularly demanding student. Nick kept bugging me about what various Korean words meant (for his homework). I DON'T KNOW!!!! IT'S YOUR HOMEWORK, NOT MINE! I DON'T KNOW KOREAN! USE THE DICTIONARY!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home