User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Monday, June 14, 2004

Waiting for the Bus

I slept horribly last night, which led to a bad attitude all day today. By 6 PM my voice was nearly gone, so I started the last two classes by telling the kids that my throat hurt and asking them not to be loud. They sort-of cooperated. Stephanie wasn't there today and won't be there tomorrow, either. I think her grandfather died, although Joelle explained it in Korean.

While I was waiting for the bus to go home, a drunk guy appeared. (This was at 8:30 PM.) He sat in the middle of the 4-lane road in the 3-foot area between the lanes. He had a bottle of something and was waving it around while he waved his arms at passing cars. When the cars cleared he staggered across the street. When he reached the sidewalk he stepped up onto it and weaved back and forth. As he came in my direction I stepped a little closer to the other people waiting for the bus, but still felt terribly conspicuous. He continued in my direction, passed by, then stopped at the table by the store to put on cloth gloves (???). He then staggered past me again, going in the direction he had just come from. The smell alone was enough to intoxicate anyone within a hundred feet. He squatted on the curb and looked down off of it as if looking off the side of a mountain. At first I thought he was going to vomit, but he just squatted there, then got into a football-type pose and waved with his arms as if to part the sea of cars in front of him. When the road was clear, he went running across to squat on the curb on the opposite side of the road. He fell backwards, laid there for a minute, then got up to run across the street again. At that point my bus came and I happily got on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home