User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Can I take off my clothes?

It was SO HOT today! Only in the mid-80s, but 90% humidity made it worse. The first thing Grace said when she came into class was, "Can I take off my clothes?" Thinking with my American brain, that does not sound good! But she was wearing two shirts, and meant to ask if she could take one of them off. I said yes (what else could I say?) and explained how what she said could be interpreted. She laughed a little, but is so naive that she might not have completely understood. She then told me, "I'm very polite." Apparently in Korean culture, you're supposed to ask before removing an article of clothing? Does that sound right? I explained that in the USA, removing or adding an article of clothing to become more comfortable was something we did without asking for permission. After that, I saw what was written on her shirt--"Get Used." Huh?

Another miserable day as far as my health. Hearing the Korean teachers talking about me while I was just a few feet away didn't improve my attitude. Surely they know by now that I can understand at least some of what they're saying. Jane in particular bothers me. She hardly ever speaks to the foreign teachers; it's like she's afraid to speak English. Yet, she has no problem talking about the foreign teachers behind their backs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home