User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Saturday, May 22, 2004

Future Life Is Exceedingly Complex

Here are some entries from a student's journal last month. Angela's in the 5th or 6th grade and is really quiet in class. She's in the Impact Intro book and obviously uses the dictionary! This is after I made some minor corrections.

4/12
Today I drew a science conjecture picture. I drew a robot and conjecture world. It is a picture of future life. Future life is living in comfort. I'm so cool. In future life someday we will feel inconvenience. Life will become complex and exceedingly complex. The time will come when we will repent it. We will want to return to the present time life.
4/13
Today I'm writing about future life. I am busy with my writing. I'm lost in thought. I cannot get it off my mind. But the more I think about it the more confused I get. To my thinking future life is exceedingly complex. A good idea occurred to me. It's a 'future life is exceedingly complex' subject writing. Things go according to one's expectations. The results turn out just as one expects. I'm happy.

Upon reading it again, I don't know if she means 'the future' as in many years from now, or 'the future' as in when she gets older. Because as we get older, life sure does become exceedingly complex. In the past I've wondered if she's copying from a book, but now I just think that she's a particularly thoughtful girl and she makes an effort to translate her thoughts into her English journal. She uses a dictionary to find the words that she doesn't know (thus the strange wording for an elementary school student!).

The more I learn, the more I'm awed by how complex the world is. The physical world, sure, but the sociology of how people interact, the psychology of how our own brains work, how people adapt to other cultures, how the West is influencing the rest of the world, the globalization of the world. Even how various cultures have developed over many centuries in different ways yet mostly with the same core values, despite being isolated from each other, is amazing.

Recently it seems I see such good and such bad things, and wonder how they can exist in the same world. The innocence of the children and their simple trust in the adults around them contrast so sharply with the evil things going on in the Middle East with the prisoner abuse and the beheaded man.

Morals continue to fall, with the latest the homosexual marriage. The USA has been leading up to this for years as homosexuality became more accepted little by little. As Dr. Dobson pointed out in his newsletter, what comes next? Group marriage? Marriage between an adult and child?

That's enough thinking for now. I didn't do much today. Class, KFC late lunch, haircut, Wal-mart (where I ran into a couple of people from church), home. I completely forgot to call Annie until it was late. Oh well, tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home