User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Saturday, May 15, 2004

Lost in Busan

I was fully intending on making it to the orphanage today. The plan was to meet either at Bennigan's at noon or Starbuck's at 1:30. I left my apartment a bit later than I had planned, then I forgot how long a walk it is to the bus stop, and then I had to wait perhaps 15 minutes for the bus. I got to Busan at noon so ate at the Lotteria in the bus station, but then stayed there reading. When I went to get on the subway Nampo-dong was also farther away than I remembered it. By the time I got to that stop it was 1:35.

I emerged from the subway in the drizzling rain and walked around, but didn't see any Western places, only Korean stores and restaurants. I decided to give up on it and enjoy walking around. It was only raining a little, and neither hot nor cold so was comfortable enough (I ignored my wet shoes/socks). I walked up the mountain to Busan Tower. Yes, walked. The escalator was closed for some reason, so that left about a billion huge steps to climb. Almost as bad as climbing the Great Wall! Looking down on the city and the port with the low clouds and little bit of fog was gorgeous. I didn't actually go up in the tower, but just walked around and enjoyed the view from the park. Then back down.

I passed a bookstore and had to go in. I bought two novels, starting one in a coffee shop I went into to dry off for a bit. Then back to Ulsan. So while I was never really lost all day, I never found what/who I was looking for! Back in Ulsan I took a warm shower, put on dry clothes, and ordered pizza for dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home