User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Geometry in Elementary School??

It was quite a busy morning. Well, maybe "busy" isn't the right word. More like "productive." I worked with Blogger for awhile this morning, and finally figured out how to not only make links appear in the sidebar, but also add stats tracking. Laundry, sheets, then french toast for brunch.

At work Kelt (3rd or 4th grade) started out the fairly interesting day by showing me what looked like a geometry problem that his dad had showed him. I was never very good at geometry, so gave up quickly and let him show me the answer. Later they started asking me all kinds of questions about my favorite things. Tomas asked me who my favorite boyfriend was, and I couldn't resist saying, "Chris!" (the boy sitting next to me) as I kissed my finger and then tried to put my finger on his cheek. They all cried out in disgust and Chris (2nd grade, I think) practically dove under the table. It was cute, but took some effort to get them calmed down again. The 4 PM class is SO MUCH BETTER with Kevin gone! They're still a handful, but manageable.

At 5 PM there were only 4 kids because of the middle school boys camp. Laura bought ice cream for everyone so we spent the first 20 minutes or so talking, then they studied pretty well (although Laura and Sally acted really sleepy towards the end of class). While Laura and Luby (yes, that's her name) were gone getting the ice cream Sally told me about her test results. English was her best subject, but overall she was 9th in her grade (of something like 440 students!). Wow! Way to go Sally! But then she said that it's a secret, because the other two girls hadn't done as well.

At 6 John had trouble pronouncing "psychology" (pronouncing the "p" and then what should have been a "k" sound he pronounced as the "ch" sound) and when I corrected him he said, "One more time, teacher!" and began the paragraph from the beginning to get it perfect. At 7 they were entirely too loud, but not too bad once I moved Jason's desk to beside me. Then for the last class of the day (8:30-9:20) Sylvia was back and they did well at talking. When they were reading a dialogue, I admonished Tom about talking before Lucy had finished. I told him that he was being really rude.

When I got home I did some more housework--sweeping, taking out the recyclables, emptying the trash, washing more clothes. Kendall called to tell me that instead of Bible study tomorrow night they're going out to a restaurant to say goodbye to Jeremy and Amanda. So it's a matter of finding out which bus goes to Gongeotap Rotary from school, then finding the restaurant itself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home