User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Sunday, September 12, 2004

Foreign Drivers

The rain wasn't too bad today, mostly just in the morning and an occasional sprinkle the rest of the day. After church I rode with Ryan (who is using Scott's car while he's in the States on vacation) to Shelly and Kendall's neighborhood. On the way we saw Adam so picked him up to come along to eat with us. We had--what was the name of that--some kind of fried rice and vegetables and meat dish. Yeah, I know, really helpful, that describes a lot of things. I don't know the names of half the stuff I eat here, but most of it is good. I tend to remember the names of stuff I don't like so I don't order it again. Ooh, and this place used cheese--delicious!

As we walked to the car I asked Ryan if he had to get a Korean driver's license. He replied, "No, I guess I might get one eventually." HELLO! He didn't mention having an international driver's license, and even if he did have one of those, since he also has a work visa here I don't think he would be able to drive with just his American license. ??? Actually, I don't think he has the work visa yet (even though he's been working for 5 weeks now). Anytime I ride with a foreigner here I'm somewhat nervous--the unwritten rules of the road here and at home are completely different. People parking anywhere, crazy taxis, cars swerving in and out of lanes, narrow streets . . . insane!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:56 AM, Blogger Sean said…

    Your friend needs a license. If he ever gets pulled over and he doesn't have one he'll be in big trouble. I got stopped for doing an illegal u-turn once and I tried to pull the I'm a foreigner I don't understand what you're saying routine. Cop didn't listen, didn't care and gave me the ticket anyway after getting my license from me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home