User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Non-Bloggers' Response to Censorship

Oh yeah, my day. Not too much, as I couldn't stay away from the computer for long, and am still trying to completely get over the bronchitis. I talked with the people at church about the censorship, and they either:

1. didn't know about it,

or

2. didn't think it was a big deal.


HELLO!


If you let the government take away one right, then what's next? Will they block access to religious or pro-democracy sites? First keep people from speaking out on the internet, then cut off international phone lines, than maybe kick all of the foreigners out of the country and restrict the remaining residents from talking to their next-door-neighbor?? I mean, really, how far will this "reform" government go?!

Even Dave (a Korean-American who runs an English school here) wasn't at all surprised or concerned that the Korean Constitution is being completely disregarded. He said that the Korean Constitution isn't like the American one; the Koreans always write a loophole for themselves. Then why have the Constitution in the first place??

I recently read (maybe on someone's blog, sorry, I can't remember!) that Nazi Germany didn't start out gassing Jews. Had it started there, people wouldn't have allowed it. But instead they crept up on it, step by step. First they made them wear stars, then restricted their movement, then took away their belongings, then sent them to camps, and then gassed them. By the time anyone realized what was happening, it was too late to do anything.

Will we stand by and do nothing while seemingly small or harmless restrictions are made, but then cry out that we had no warning if bigger action is taken? The expatriate blogging community in Korea has made it clear that the action by the MIC is unacceptable, but the rest of the country seems unconcerned! Apparently they don't care about liberty, "the right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one's own choosing" (definition from Dictionary.com). Well, I care about expressing myself, and this blog is the manner that I choose!!

I also went to Shinbok Church for the English Sunday School. Six kids came today, ranging in age from 5th~9th grades. Is it my imagination, or is the one 6th-grader getting a little better at reading English? Hooray!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home