User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Sunday, September 19, 2004

A "Crazy" Day

Friday was a really excellent day. In the 3 o'clock class we spent half the class laughing. When I came in the kids started saying random things. "An elephant has a big nose." Yes, it does, but why are you telling me that? "I am short." Yes, you are, but what does that have to do with anything?

It started to sink in a little later when Tomas started insulting Sera: "You're ugly! You're fat! You're short! You're slow!" A-ha! You guys studied the adjectives chapter with Mona! Part of me hates to teach that chapter because the kids will inevitably insult each other, yet by insulting each other they remember the words and make them a part of their vocabulary. After all, one of the first words my students learn is "crazy," and it usually doesn't take them too long to figure out that the way it's used in English isn't the Korean word that the dictionary says that it is. The Korean equivalent for "crazy" is more along the lines of our "psychopath," or "lunatic," or another similar word said in the worst way possible. The Korean word is a very strong insult. In my classes I say "You're crazy!" or ask, "Are you crazy?" quite often. Occasionally a student will get upset, but then all it takes is me adding, "and I'm crazy, too!" for them to realize that if I'm saying it about myself, it can't be that bad of a word.

Sera took Tomas' insults pretty well, although she did tell me that Mona teacher said they weren't supposed to say that a person is 'fat,' they're supposed to say someone is 'chubby.' That's right, Sera! That she could explain that to me surprised me even more that just her knowing what's polite to say.

A little after that Tomas (the loudmouth that he is) started in on making up love stories. "Brian heart Sera," "Kelt heart Lynn," "Beth heart Tim." I responded, "Of course I love Tim!" as I kissed the tip of my finger and put it on Tim's cheek. He acted disgusted, while the other children roared with laughter. Tomas continued, "Beth heart Kelt," and Kelt hid under the table before I could plant my finger-kiss on him. (I got him when he wasn't expecting it, though!) Despite all of the distractions, we still got the planned lesson done. But those kinds of distractions are good--they're still at a pretty basic level, but fairly comfortable with using their limited vocabulary when speaking--most adults with even extensive vocabularies aren't that comfortable.

After class several of the students went into the computer room to study, and when I passed by 10 minutes later they were still grinning, and upon seeing me broke into laughter again. I can't help but think that they'll remember those adjectives, just from the sheer craziness of it all. Mona was pleased that they remembered what they learned in her class the day before. The other teachers looked at me pretty strangely as I continued the insane laughter while telling Mona about the class. I explained, with stray tears exploding out of my eyes, that I'd had a "crazy class." Mina looked concerned, so I clarified, "It was a good crazy!"

At 4 I wrote some more evaluations, printed out the tests I made in the morning, surfed the 'net, and talked with Jane. It was a really productive hour.

Later on in the day I teased some middle school students about having "grandfather heads" since they didn't remember their homework. A student came in late, also without his homework, and I asked him why he hadn't done it. Tom was quick to say, "Teacher! You too!" 'Me too' what? "You too 'grandfather head!' Charlie wasn't here last time!" Okay, you're right. I'm forgetful too.

Apparently there was a misunderstanding regarding Matt working on Saturdays. A day or two ago Matt agreed to work Saturdays, but not for the next two weeks. This weekend a friend from Japan was visiting, and next weekend he'll be in Singapore. So halfway through the day Mr. Kim asked me about working this Saturday and next. I apologized and said I couldn't—I already had plans. Come on! It's my last two weekends here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home