User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Friday, September 17, 2004

Monster


International Truck and Engine Corp. is producing what it calls the world's biggest production pickup, a 14,500-pound monster capable of towing 20 tons. The 5-passenger CXT is nine feet tall, eight feet wide, 21 1/2 feet long and gets about seven miles on a gallon of diesel. The truck is manfactured in Garland, Texas. (AP Photo/Ketchum Communications, File) Full story


Now I can see the benefits of this for people like contractors or others who do heavy towing but want a decent-looking vehicle to drive at other times (despite the poor mileage). It's pretty expensive ($93,000~ $115,000) but its distinctive look makes me afraid it might become more popular than it needs to be. Look at the size of the thing! It DOES NOT require a commercial license to drive. I can imagine some contractor's 16-year-old borrowing it, speeding off, and at 14,500 pounds, crushing any normal-sized vehicle that I'd be driving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home