User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Saturday, September 18, 2004

Foot Care

I thought I'd give some helpful advice on what I've learned about foot care in the last couple of days.

If you think you have athlete's foot but can't get the official cream to get rid of it, then let your DAD mix up his special home remedy HIMSELF; this is not something you should be doing on your own. Although, as a learning experience, you could have the once-in-a-lifetime experience of pouring bleach into the bucket of warm water when your feet are already in it. I say once-in-a-lifetime because after that experience you won't have any skin left. Is Korean bleach stronger than Western bleach??

OK, so the athlete's foot is gone (of course it is, as all of the skin is gone!) but those pesky calluses persist. Since the home remedy turned out so poorly, you decide to go the store route to deal with the calluses. You go to your local Missha and look around and see something labeled "Cooling foot scrub" that has those little abrasive beads in it and nice, natural, mint. Again, soak, then rub the product on and into the skin, then rinse. Yeah, good idea. The all-natural product left a rash on the remaining skin. Perhaps I shouldn't touch my feet for the next little bit!!

The original reason I went into the Missha store was to look for deodorant. A week and a half left and I can't stretch my deodorant any further. I know Wal-mart has the roll-on stuff but it's a little far and out of the way. In the Missha store I looked at everything, then approached the salesgirl. I asked her if she spoke English. She answered "a little" in a way that I truly believed she only spoke a little. I asked if they had deodorant, and she had no clue. I mimed putting it on, and she showed me a tiny spray bottle and let me smell it. No way! That's not deodorant! If I put that under my arms I don't want to even think about what kind of rash I'd get! She obviously doesn't use the product.

At that point the owner approached and asked, in perfect English, if I needed help. He immediately knew what I was looking for, and said that what the girl showed me was perfume. Yeah, no kidding. No deodorant there. I knew I'd seen some in a convenience store somewhere. I looked one place, they had some for men. The second place had for both men and women and sensitive skin for women. After the last several days, I'd better go with the sensitive skin one! The price was outrageous--7500 won ($7) for 45 grams of the spray-on kind. Will that even last until I get home?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home