User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Monday, July 26, 2004

Not Exactly

Well, I can now access blogspot blogs from my home computer, but blogs.com, typepad.com, and other miscellaneous but innocent sites are still blocked.  While the current censorship may be ending, there's nothing to keep the government from doing it again.  The really nasty sites like Ogrish are still blocked.  It may take awhile to get all of the sites unblocked, and I'm sure the government will forget to unblock some.  We've already seen how unresponsive the MIC and company are.  Some new sites I've been reading and deciding if I like or not are on their own servers (as far as I know) and yet blocked:  Everyday Stranger and Ranting Profs.  I don't like the government deciding what I can read!!  On day 32 the ban on my site was lifted.  How long will it take for the other sites?

There was a good article regarding the censorship in the current international version of Newsweek.  I don't know if this is the whole thing, or just what they put on the internet:

INTERNET: A Blog Blanket
South Korea may be one of the most wired societies in the world, but some Koreans are beginning to wonder if Seoul is truly ready to embrace that status. Last Thursday a university student in the capital was fined for posting political parodies on the Internet. In 2003 some 18,000 Web sites were censored for crimes such as "undermining law and order." And since late June, about 50 Web sites have been shut down for allegedly trying to post the video of the execution of South Korean hostage Kim Sun Il. Authorities have also blocked large Weblog services, cutting off thousands of blogs that did not offer the video. Officials claim the blanket ban is merely a technical matter: although they could shut down Korean sites, they couldn't be as targeted with foreign blogs. Bloggers, though, worry that average Koreans are coming to accept infringements on the free flow of information as normal. Kevin Kim complains on his site, Big Hominoid, that Korea "has not come far out of the shadow of its military dictatorship past." While that may be extreme, Robert Koehler, whose blog, the Marmot's Hole, is one of the most popular English-language sites about Korea, says, "there seems to be this idea among Korean Netizens that the Net [is] a forum for expressing the power of nationalism." Trying to help the country's reputation, though, may only end up hurting it. —Mark Russell

1 Comments:

  • At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm blocked from you? Really? Very sorry. :(

    -Helen
    http://everydaystranger.mu.nu

     

Post a Comment

<< Home