User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Thursday, July 08, 2004

Latest Letter to MIC and ICEC

I've gone a few days without doing anything to spread the word on the censorship, so today's work--I can't believe I sent this! What are the chances of the government arresting me on some trumped-up charge?! I sent it to the MIC and the ICEC, two of the organizations involved in the censorship, and carbon copied it to the letters to the editor person at the Korea Herald. I thought about taking off the signature file which tells my blog address and that I (and other people) are obviously still accessing it, but perhaps they'll see that the censorship isn't accomplishing much! I almost left in the "Sincerely" closing, but decided that it wasn't very accurate. I couldn't think of a good way to close--"Best wishes"--NO. "Cordially"--NO. How do you close a letter to someone that you dislike?!

Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 08:47:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Beth (last name)
Subject: Continued Censorship
To: webmaster@mic.go.kr, webmaster@icec.or.kr
CC: sophie@heraldm.com

To whom it may concern:

This letter is regarding the Internet censorship which began on June 24, 2004. My previous emails to both the MIC and ICEC received no response. It is deeply
disappointing that the government has done nothing to stop the censorship. It seems that instead of getting better, things continue to get worse. How many sites will you block?

How about make it easy and just shut down the whole Internet! Then no one can access any information whatsoever. Or better yet, outlaw computers. That way people can't access the Internet AND kids get rid of a major distraction to studying. Even better--go back to the pre-electricity days, then the contaminating influence of televisions and radios is gone, as well as all of those annoying handphones. People can go back to washing clothes by hand and having food poisoning because of improperly stored food. Electric lights aren't a necessity! Candles work just fine. That would actually be beneficial, because more people could be employed as firefighters to put out all of the fires caused by the use of candles. You know, modern medicine isn't all it's cracked up to be, either. Penicillin and aspirin--who needs them? If you get rid of cars and factories, the air would be a lot cleaner. I can think of lots of things we could change!

I suggest taking Korea back to how things were in the Choseon Dynasty, because all of these modern things--like a CONSTITUTION, specifically Article 21, which prohibits censorship--aren't a good idea.

Please respond with what you think and when we can expect these other changes to life in Korea.

Beth (last name)

=====
"He who sacrifices freedom for security is neither free nor secure."
(Benjamin Franklin)

View my blog at: http://chunjaeteacher.blogspot.com
If you're in SOUTH Korea, where my site is among many blocked by the government as being "hazardous," use a proxy server for access.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home