User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Fan Death

I was happy with how much I got done today. During my 3 PM break I wrote most of the adult test and printed out a couple of things to discuss at the meeting on Friday. I'm feeling a lot better about having things finished by the various deadlines.

Miro wasn't at work today. I asked Jane if she was sick and Jane hesitated before replying, "No, absent." Absent? What does that mean? Why? Come on, don't be so mysterious! My speculation is that perhaps Miro might be the one quitting. The reasons:

1. She didn't want to teach the adult class at first because (according to her) she already had too many classes, then because she wanted to do a "camp" this summer.
2. The two teachers that I've interviewed.
3. She was absent today. Perhaps interviewing for another job?

Yes, pure speculation.

The laptop guy (I still don't know his name, yet talk to him nearly every day!) and I were talking about how hot it was and different methods we use to survive. I said that when I get home at night I turn on the air conditioner and the fan for a few hours, then turn the air conditioner off before I go to bed. He said, "You don't sleep with the windows closed, do you?" Of course! Otherwise the cold air would get out! "Oh, you'd better open a window."

I couldn't help but laugh, knowing he was referring to the dreaded "fan death." I've heard it from the kids, but never from an adult, especially one as well-educated and well-traveled as him. He's been exposed to so many different cultures and people, yet still believes this Korean superstition! It's easy enough--sleep with the fan on and the windows and doors closed, and you suffocate. HOW? Does the fan eat up oxygen? It doesn't make any sense! I've read other people's speculations that in the past perhaps there were some unexplained deaths, or in the winter there was a gas leak and people died, and the easiest thing was to blame it on the fan. I told him that lots of people in other countries sleep with a fan on and the windows closed and they don't die. He listened with great interest, and admitted that it might be a Korean superstition, but that he'd never considered it before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home