User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Doctor's Visit

Last night just before I went to bed there was this "pop" in my right ear. When I woke up this morning to a throbbing pain and virtually no hearing in that ear, was I ever scared! I immediately got online to do some research and decided that it was either a burst eardrum or a very sudden and very severe middle ear infection. The doctor was surprised to see me back--he thought he had gotten rid of me after 2 visits and 6 days of drugs! He looked in my ear with his thing that connects to a TV so I can see inside my ear, too. Given that he knew how bad the cold/bronchitis/whatever was last week, he promptly diagnosed me and said in his broken English, "You is otitis media. Understand?"

Now had I not already seen that medical term online while making my self-diagnosis, his statement probably would have freaked me out. As it was, from my research I knew that "otitis media" is the medical term for "middle ear infection." Yes, doctor, I understand, but you really need to work on learning layman's terms for medical conditions! He sat back down at his desk and brought up a picture of the ear and explained, in detail, how the ears, nose, sinuses and throat connect and that if one of the tubes connecting them gets blocked, then you get an "injection." It was obvious he meant infection, but I was afraid he would be embarrassed if I corrected him. He also looked in my throat and said that it was mildly inflamed. I guess I've gotten used to a perpetual sore throat. He said it'll take 14 days of antibiotics to get rid of the ear infection, but I have to go back in 2 days to get re-checked. I'm hoping that he'll give me the rest of the medicine then and won't make me keep coming back again and again. It's pretty cheap to see him ($6) but a pain to keep returning.

At the pharmacy I asked to make sure of how often and when to take the drugs, and the guy got someone else to help him explain, then added, "No drinking." WHAT? The doctor always tells me, "Drink water many many." You're telling me not to drink? My face displayed my confusion, so he clarified, "No drink alcohol." Oh, OK. No problem there. Is that what he thinks every foreigner does here?!

I also went by the bank before work, and was surprised to find that I'd been paid, and without reminding them, only one day late this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home