User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Saturday, July 03, 2004

Another Interview

I gave another interview yesterday. It was during the 7 PM class, but Joelle stayed in the class while I was gone, plus with me being so strict at the beginning of class they didn't dare act up when I got back.

This girl could actually understand English! In fact, I think I could have spoken naturally, but I still used a slower speed and easier vocabulary, simply out of habit. She had been in Australia for a while, so we talked a little about that. Then I asked her about her teaching experience, although Joelle had already told me she didn't have experience teaching children. Joelle said she had taught adultSSSSS in the past. However, the info I got was that she had tutored AN adult, an ajumma at that! Teaching ONE student who is motivated and teaching a classroom of children who would rather be playing is very, very different!

I asked her if she had any questions for me, and she asked, "Do you think teaching children is easy?" She asked it like that's what she believed. I said, NO!! While children are enthusiastic and learn things more easily that adults, they are also hyperactive and, in general, would rather be doing something besides studying. She was VERY surprised by what I said, and even looked a little scared. Then she asked, "Do you hit them?" NOOOOOO--I use other forms of discipline, if necessary. With kids you have to find a way to make learning at least a little fun, and keep things lively by walking around the classroom and changing activities frequently and being expressive, both with your face, body language, and voice. She made it sound like hitting them was the only way to keep them in line. One look from me will stop most kids from whatever they're up to!

I told Joelle that while her English was good, she didn't have a realistic view towards teaching children, so probably wouldn't be good. Joelle agreed. We talked a couple of minutes (in my classroom). The children were quieter than mice--not a single whisper or squirm, partly because the dreaded Joelle was still in the classroom, but partly because they wanted to see how much of our conversation they could understand. I don't know what Joelle might have told them before I came back, but I'm guessing not much. They understood a remarkable amount of what we said! After Joelle left they had tons of questions for me. Now usually I encourage questions, especially when the questions are driven by the children's curiosity and they really want to know. HOWEVER, I didn't know the answers to many of their questions, and wouldn't know what was appropriate to say, anyway. With the school having lost so many students, I don't see that there's enough work to even think about hiring another teacher. So that means one of our current teachers must be leaving. My first guess would be Stephanie, although Mona has expressed dissatisfaction with the job. Of course, that assumes the teacher is quitting and not the alternative!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home