User-agent: Googlebot-Image Disallow: / My (edited) Journal

My (edited) Journal

Observations, events, comparisons, thoughts, rants, linguistics, politics, my students, and anything else I care to write about.

Sunday, August 08, 2004

Curiosity

Bill's on vacation so Pastor Cho preached. It was better than last time, but still a little difficult to follow. At Shinbok we ate lunch before leading 6 very hyperactive boys in studying the next verse in John. We started earlier than usual so the two sisters showed up as we were finishing. It didn't take them long to study the verse, although the younger one kept messing up the pronunciation. Having "through" and "truth" in the same sentence is hard to say! Then we waited around for Octavia to meet her friend about something and then she drove me home.

After putting my bag inside I went for a long walk near Munsu. I now have a different take on the expression "Curiosity killed the cat." Curiosity threatens other things, too! I saw some stairs up a steep bank, so I followed them to see what was there. At the top of the stairs I had to climb up some loose dirt/mulch/rocks. It was a construction zone, I guess. I walked around a bit and when I turned to go back down, the bank looked a lot steeper than when I had gone up. I was wearing white capris, so didn't relish the idea of sliding down on my rear end, so I decided to look for another way down. I walked a short distance to what looked like a road down. I carefully descended, to find that the "road" ended with a jungle between it and a paved road. I took some careful steps in before determining that it only got thicker. Especially with sandals on, I wasn't about to step where I couldn't see the ground! Snakes aren't common here (as far as I know) but I still wasn't going to chance it. So I went back up that part.

On the way up I lost my balance and sunk into the soil, leaving my hands and feet covered. By that point I was sweating so intensely that sweat was running down into my eyes and I couldn't very well wipe my face with my muddy hands, so I wiped the mud on my (black) shirt before wiping my face. Then I went back to puzzle over where I came up. I studied it from several different angles and saw that where I had first started to go down wasn't the exact place that I had gone up. I tried the other place and descended without incident. Another parallel to life--sometimes looking at a situation more than once and from a different angle presents a solution.

At home I stepped directly into the bathroom from the entry and took a cold shower, not wanting to get the apartment dirty by walking through to turn on the water heater. The cold shower was perfect. The evening was typical. I should have worked on stuff for my special class, but I figured that it wasn't until Tuesday, so I'd work on it later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home